Effective Date: May 21, 2018
Med-IQ (“Med-IQ,” “we,” “us,” or “our“) is committed to respecting your privacy. This privacy notice describes how we and some of the companies we work with collect, use, share, and protect information in connection with our websites, portals, mobile apps, and other online applications (collectively, the “Website“), and your choices and rights regarding the collection and use of your information.
This privacy notice applies to any Med-IQ Website that displays or links to this privacy notice and to all visitors, users, members, providers, and others who access the Website from the United States (“users“). This privacy notice does not apply to websites, portals, mobile apps, or other online applications that have their own privacy notice or otherwise do not display or link to this policy notice.
Some of the concepts below are a bit technical, but we tried our best to explain things in a straightforward and transparent way. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, the ways in which we collect and use the information described below, or your choices and rights regarding such use, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Phone: 866 858 7434
Postal Address: Med-IQ, Attn: Privacy, 5523 Research Park Drive, Suite 210, Baltimore, MD 21228
Information We Collect
Our Website collects information that either directly identifies you or could reasonably be used in combination with other information to identify you (“personal information“). Examples of personal information include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, NPI Number, and any other information provided in combination with such identifiers. Personal information does not include information that has been made anonymous or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific person, computer, or device, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
Our Website may also collect certain technical data and other information that does not directly identify you (for example, by name or contact information), but which may be used to identify a specific computer or device that has accessed our Website or online advertisements (“ads“), such as your computer’s Internet protocol (IP) address or device’s unique device identifier. When this data is associated or linked with your personal information (for example, if linked to your Med-IQ membership records), we treat it as personal information.
We collect this personal information and other data when you provide it to us directly through the Website, automatically through your use of the Website, and from our partners and service providers and publically-available sources.
Information You Provide
You may choose to give us certain personal information in order to use or interact with our Website. This can include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, payment card information, employer information, date of birth, and any other information provided in combination with such identifiers (such as inquiry submissions and Website registration information). For example:
- If you submit a membership registration form or otherwise register for our services through the Website, you may provide your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, degree, specialty, and any other information necessary to establish and maintain your membership or registration.
- If you request or sign up for our services through the Website, you may provide your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, payment card information, services requested (for example, CME course, product demos, etc.), and any other information necessary to facilitate your request.
- If you submit an inquiry using the Contact Us form or otherwise contact us through the Website, you may provide your name, contact information, specialty, degree, title, and any other information you include with your submission.
- If you sign up to receive information about our services or register for our e-newsletter, you may provide your name, contact information, title, the service or newsletter you are interested in, and any other information you choose to provide.
- If the Website allows you to apply for job or submit a resume, we will collect any personal information included in your application or resume, such as name, phone number, resume information, cover letter content, education and field of study, current title and employer, and similar information.
If you use a Med-IQ mobile app, we may request access to certain types of data stored on your mobile device (for example, your contacts, calendar information, or photos). This data cannot be accessed by a Med-IQ mobile app without your permission. The permission system for obtaining your consent depends on the mobile platform you are using (for example, iOS, Android, etc.). If you give us permission to access this data, we will obtain it from your mobile device and use it for the purposes described in this privacy notice.
Information Generated Through Your Use of the Website
Like most websites and other online services, our Website collects certain information that is created and recorded automatically when you use or interact with the Website or our ads. This information includes the following:
- Log Data. When you use or interact the Website or our ads, our servers record certain information that is automatically reported by your browser (such as Apple’s Safari, Google’s Chrome, or Mozilla’s Firefox) or device each time you make a request to access the Website or when Website content is downloaded to your browser or device (“log data“). This log data may include your IP address (which may change each time you connect to the Internet—a “dynamic” IP address—or may remain the same—a “static” IP address), browser settings, device information, referring page and URL, the date and time of your request, Website features or pages viewed, app crash data and other system activity, and cookie data. We may also collect similar data from emails sent to our users in order to help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients.
- Device Information. In addition to log data, we may collect certain information about the device you’re using to access the Website (“device information“), such as the device type, operating system and version, device settings, unique device identifier, advertising identifiers, device motion information, mobile network information, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this device information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
- Location Information. Depending on the Website features or content and your computer or device permissions, the Website may collect information about your approximate or precise location (“location information“). Various technologies may be used to collect this location information, such as IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may provide information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers.
- Transaction Data. When you request, register with, or use our services available through the Website, we may collect certain transaction details related to such request, registration, or use, such as the type of service requested (for example, webinar, live event, etc.), the date and time the service was requested and provided, amount charged, payment method, purchase and correspondence history, CME/CE credits, and other related transaction details (“transaction data“).
Information Received from Third Parties
We may receive information about you and your activity on and off the Website from our affiliates, advertisers, partners, service providers, and other third parties. For example:
- We may receive information collected by our advertising partners and providers of analytics tools (including information collected through third-party cookies and similar technologies on the Website and our ads), such as Website traffic and usage trend data, information regarding users’ browser or device activity on third-party sites, and information regarding ad delivery and performance.
- We may obtain information about you from commercially available sources such as data aggregators, credit agencies, background check firms, marketing providers, and other public databases. This information may include your name, contact information, demographic information, interests and publicly-observed data (such as from social media and shopping behavior), credit information, and professional experience.
- We may receive information about customers or other users when we acquire part or all of other companies.
Where permitted by law, we may combine the personal information you provide through the Website with information we collect through another U.S. Website, Med-IQ’s offline records, and information provided to us by third parties. Where permitted by law and feasible, we may also combine your personal information with information generated through your use of the Website (such as log data, transaction data, or cookie data), in which case we will treat any information that is combined or associated with your personal information as personal information for as long as it can reasonably be linked with your personal information.
We use this consolidated information to improve our Website and product and service offerings, enhance our marketing and research activities, communicate information to you, and engage in any other legitimate business activities set forth under Use of Information below or otherwise described in this privacy notice.
Use of Information
We may use the information described above as necessary or useful to provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services, including as follows:
- We use the personal information you provide through the Website for the purposes for which such information was provided. For example, if you share your name and contact information with us to submit an inquiry, we will use such information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to become a member, we will use the information to process your membership registration.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Website, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in this privacy notice.
Types of Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Pixel Tags. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons) are small blocks of code installed on our Website which enable our online partners to serve cookies when you visit our Website and are generally used in combination with cookies to track user activity on our Website, receive relevant log data and cookie data, and perform other activities relating to the monitoring and analysis of the use and performance of the Website and our ads.
- Software Development Kits. Software development kits (also called SDKs) function like third-party cookies and pixel tags, but operate in the mobile app environment where cookies and pixel tags cannot function as effectively. Instead of using cookies and pixels tags, we may install pieces of code (the SDK) provided by our online partners (such as advertising companies, ad networks, and analytics providers) in our mobile apps in order for these online partners to monitor and analyze the use and performance of our Website and ads.
- Statistical Identifiers. Statistical identifiers refers to identifiers created using certain device information and log data. Collectively, this information makes your browser or device sufficiently distinct for a server or similar system to reasonably determine that it is encountering the same browser or device over time. Statistical identifiers enable us and our partners to uniquely identify your browser or device for the same purposes as cookies. Statistical identifiers may be associated with your personal information (such as your email address).
How Cookies and Similar Technologies are Used
Cookies and similar technologies used on our Website and ads (including the information obtained through such use) fall into four categories:
|Essential||Our Website and ads utilize first- and third-party cookies and similar technologies that are necessary in order to operate our business and maintain our Website, including verifying and authenticating Website users; preventing fraud and securing our Website and databases; payment processing; enabling users to move around our Website and use its features; and complying with applicable laws and industry standards. These cookies and similar technologies don’t gather information about you that could be used for marketing or tracking your browsing activity. This category of cookies generally cannot be disabled.|
|Performance||Our Website and ads may utilize first- and third-party cookies and similar technologies to provide enhanced features and remember user preferences, including identifying return users when visiting our Website (for example, to remember your login credentials); keeping track of user preferences, interests, and past items viewed or utilized (for example, preferred language or past purchases); and providing social features that allow users to interact with social media services through our Website (for example, Facebook or Twitter, as further described below).|
|Analytics||Our Website and ads may utilize first- and third-party cookies and similar technologies for analytics, product development, and market research purposes, including analyzing how users arrive at and engage with our Website and ads; tracking and measuring the performance and effectiveness of our Website and ads; optimizing the location of ads, Website features, and other content on our Website; statistical reporting in connection with Website activity; analyzing user preferences and behaviors and market characteristics and trends in order to develop and improve our products and services, Website, and ads; segmenting audiences to test features of our Website and ads; and conducting research about our consumers, products, and online services.|
|Advertising||Our Website and ads may utilize first- and third-party cookies and similar technologies to deliver, track, and measure ads both on and off our Website, including ads relevant to your interests (for example, ads based on your past interaction with our Website or based on predictions about your interests derived from your browsing activities on different websites over time); and ads based on your location, demographics, or device characteristics. Cookies are also used for tracking and measuring the reach and frequency of ads and regulating the delivery of such ads (for example, capping the number of times you see a particular ad).|
For example, we may use third-party cookies to deliver our ads on third-party websites through a common form of online advertising known as “retargeting.” Retargeting works by serving ads on one website based on an individual’s activities on a different website (for example, if you view a CME course available on our Website, you may later see ads for our products and services when you visit a third-party website). To do this, we allow our online partners (such as Google or other ad network vendors) to serve their own third-party cookies when users visit our Website, allowing these online partners to recognize users who have previously visited our Website. When these users visit a third-party website that includes features provided by our online partners (for example, where our online partners have purchased ad space), our online partners can recognize the users’ interest in our products and services and deliver one of our ads on the third-party website.
Your Cookie Choices
Most browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, browsers typically allow individuals to remove or block browser cookies if they choose. For more information on blocking and removing browser cookies, please review your browser’s Settings or Preferences tab. More information can be found here:
For other browsers, please consult the documentation that your browser manufacturer provides.
In addition to removing and blocking browser cookies generally, the following opt-out mechanisms may be available if our Website or ads utilize the third-party cookies listed below:
- Google Analytics. Our Website may use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google. Google Analytics utilizes cookies and similar technologies to collect and analyze information about the performance and use of our Website and ads. More information on Google Analytics can be found here. If you would like to opt-out of having your information collected and used as described, please use the Google Analytics opt-out available here.
- Google Retargeting. Our Website may use Google’s Remarketing with Google Analytics to allow Google to use information about your visits to our Website and other unaffiliated websites in order to measure advertising effectiveness and serve ads about our products and services that may be of interest to you. As described above, Google places its own cookies when users visit our Website which enable Google to recognize users who have previously visited our Website when such users visit other unaffiliated sites that also use Google’s services and cookies. More information on Google’s Remarketing with Google Analytics can be found here. If you would like to opt-out of having your information collected and used as described, please use the Google Analytics opt-out available here.
- Interest Based Advertising. Our Website and ads may use first- and third-party cookies and similar technologies for targeted advertising based on user interests, demographics, and past browsing activity. If you would like to opt-out of having your information collected and used by us for these purposes, please visit here or here if you’re in the United States (if you’re in Europe, please visit here; if you’re in Canada, please visit here).
- Mobile Apps. For cookies and similar technologies used on mobile apps (such as software development kits) for certain targeted advertising activities, please follow the steps below to opt-out of having your information collected and used for such purposes (unless different instructions are provided by your mobile device manufacturer):iOS Users: Launch “Settings” > Tap on “Privacy” and scroll down and tap on “Advertising” > Toggle on “Limit Ad Tracking.” You can also reset your Advertising Identifier from here by tapping “Reset Advertising Identifier.”Android Users: Open your app drawer and launch the Google Setting app > Tap “Ads” under Services and enable the “Opt out of interest-based ads” option. You can also reset your advertising ID from here by tapping “Reset advertising ID.”
The list above identifies some of the third-party cookies we may use on our Website and ads. However, we may use other third-party cookies and similar technologies on our Website and ads that are not listed here. This list is subject to change at any time and without notice.
Do Not Track (DNT)
DNT is a concept that has been promoted by regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for the Internet industry to develop and implement a mechanism for allowing Internet users to control the tracking of their online activities across websites by using browser settings. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has been working with industry groups, Internet browsers, technology companies, and regulators to develop a DNT technology standard. While some progress has been made, it has been slow and no standard has been adopted to date. As such, Med-IQ does not generally respond to “do not track” signals.
Sharing of Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties who provide us with various business services, including monitoring and maintaining our Website and ads, processing payments, delivering products and services, performing Website analytics and ad delivery services, conducting marketing and advertising campaigns, and preparing newsletters and mailings. We may also share your personal information with other affiliates within our group of companies, in compliance with applicable laws.
If all or part of Med-IQ is merged into another entity, the information we have about you may be transferred to a third party as part of that transaction. The acquiring entity will be required to use the personal information that is transferred only in a manner that is consistent with this privacy notice and applicable law.
Your Choices and Rights
Your Privacy Choices
You can generally visit our Website without revealing any personal information about yourself. However, to obtain our products and services or to create an account with us, we will ask you to provide certain personal information. If you choose not to provide this information, you may be unable to obtain our products and services or create an account with us.
You may “opt-out” of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by emailing us at the address above. In addition, you may unsubscribe from commercial email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided at the bottom of such communications (when such unsubscribe mechanism is required by law). However, you may not opt out of non-marketing product-, service-, or membership/account-related communications.
You have the right to receive information from us about the categories of personal information we maintain about you and the sources of such information. In addition, you have the right to request rectification of any personal information that is inaccurate or incomplete. However, for record keeping and compliance purposes, we may retain certain information collected from you, even if inaccurate or incomplete. To exercise any of these rights, please send us an email at the address above. To protect your privacy, we will only respond to email messages sent from the email account you used to contact us initially or otherwise associated with your account.
Med-IQ implements, maintains, and enforces reasonable and appropriate administrative, organization, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of our Website, databases, personal information, and related assets. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
Med-IQ implements and maintains reasonable restrictions on the retention of personal information and generally disposes of such personal information once it is no longer necessary or useful for the purposes for which it was collected or further processed. However, we may continue to store archived copies of your personal information for legitimate business purposes and to comply with the law. In addition, we may continue to store anonymous or anonymized information for any legitimate business use described in this privacy notice.
Our Website is not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under 13-years old. However, if the parent or the guardian of a child under 13 years old believes that the child has provided us with personal information, the parent or guardian of that child should contact us at the information provided above to request the information’s deletion. Anyone under 13 years old should seek their parent’s or guardian’s permission prior to using the Website or disclosing any personal information to Med-IQ.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Med-IQ reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When changes are made to this privacy notice, the updated notice will be posted on the Website and will be effective as of the date posted.
YOUR CONTINUED USE OF OUR WEBSITE FOLLOWING THE POSTING OF CHANGES WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH CHANGES.
Material revisions to this privacy notice will not be applied retroactively without your affirmative consent.